Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Markets and Writing


Sometimes, I write a story with a particular market in mind. Not all the time. Some stories just write themselves.

Some writers recommend writing with a market in mind. Which, admittedly I did when I wrote "Bosom Buddies." Except, now I'm screwed. And not in the good way.

"Bosom Buddies" is one of those stories that really only fits in a small number of markets. Gratutitus sex and violence. Both which serve the plot, but certainly intended to be raw, titillating thrills.

Except the market it was "written for" is currently closed to subs. Looks like it's going to be that way for a while.

My second choice declined.

It's too violent for erotica. To erotic for, well, just about anyone else. And too long for many of the remaining sites. Or so's my conclusion at this point.

So, I'm going down the list. Hoping to make a few bucks off it, if possible. I'm at that point, I think, in my writing career where I'd like to see if I can't swim with the bigger fish. Maybe even make enough money to bother reporting it on my income taxes.

I like screwing myself as much as the next person, but I hate doing it with a perfectly good story. Paper cuts, you know...

4 comments:

sandra seamans said...

Have you tried Lurid Lit? They're into pulp and sex over there and they pay. I have them in the flash section but they accept stories up to 4000 words.

Travis Erwin said...

Okay your last paragraph had me laughing out loud.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I never write with a specific market in mind-and that's why I have a bunch of unplaced stories-not violent enough most of the time.

Christopher Grant said...

It's really too bad that Thomas Roche doesn't have his Noirotica series still going.