Saturday, May 26, 2007

End of one chapter, start of the next

Okay, that title is far too grandious for the subject of this post! The semester is finally ending-- I just have to turn in my grades and attendance. Thus, summer is beginning. Or at least the bit of summer break that I get. I know some people think teachers get nice cushy summers off . . . well, I don't take it. I work my retail job until July, then I teach summer school, then it's back to retail for August. But working only one job at a time, rather than two, should give me some more time to write.

I have a couple stories I'm finishing. Of course, finishing is one of the hardest parts for me in a story. Particulalry short stories. I get everything all set up-- things get worse and worse then . . . ? Then what? It's hard to wrap up with a bang, rather than a whimper. I have to top the previous plot turns or the story falls flat.

One of the stories I'm working on is tentatively titled "Beaten to the Punch." (It's a word play thing-- I really can't help it!) Anyway, I know the story is at a point where it's time to wrap up. Bo's only one step away from the guy and the answer she's looking for. I even have a pretty good idea HOW I want the scene to play out, which is a great step. The problem is getting that idea into phrases and sentences.

Knowing what needs to be done and actually DOING it are two separate, sometimes unrelated things. Even in a story where the events are wholly in my control.

  • Story currently in progress: Beaten to the Punch (formerly known as the apartment story.)
  • Excuse for not writing: writer's block.

No comments: