Saturday, July 5, 2008

Apparently, I Don't Know How to Take Time Off

This is summer vacation. I've had more time than I've ever had. I even finished the first Bo Fexler Novel, polished the sucker up, dressed it provocatively, and sent it off to some agents. Then, I figured, I'd just relax, take somet time to work on some short stories, old and new. Maybe read some more.

I did read. I've read quite a bit.

I've also puttered on the internet with hours logging into the Insane Category. I never should have joined Aboslute Write Water Cooler. Bad Clair.

But, the thing that really gets me is that I started Novel #2. Not just a little dabbling as I figured. I had some ideas, decided to jot them down, then maybe the first scene. Now I'm up to chapter 8 with 13k words. How the hell did this happen?

Now, it's not a bad thing, by any stretch of even my overactive imagination. It just surprised me. When I was done with 'Sex and Violence', I didn't feel like doing much of anything that required large amounts of brain power. Especially not starting another novel.

The point after I finished 'Sex and Violence' reminds me a lot of a trip to the Sleeping Bear Dunes. We did the Dune Climb. I'm not completely out of shape-- I spend a lot of time pushing my luck. And my eye-rolling muscles are in fantastic shape. But it was exhausting. We walked a little further until I finally, really convinced Hubby that it's four miles to the shore. Then, we went to go back down. I didn't want to. I would have been quite content sitting on my tailfeathers on the top of the Dune Climb until the cows came to carry me home. It wasn't quite as bad as I thought, but it was still taxing on exhaustion-weak legs.

I don't feel any pressure to work on Novel #2. I'm just enjoying it as one scene leads to another. The pieces fall together. I'm not enjoying it any more or any less than writing Novel #1, it's just there's less pressure. No sense of MUST WRITE NOW.

Makes me think that I could do this for a living.

  • Query Status: 2 partials, 3 rejections
  • Novel #2: 13k
  • Currently Reading: Nothing, actually. I'm between books.
  • Current Song: Mouth (Stingray Mix) by Bush

No comments: