Saturday, February 21, 2009

That Awkward Age


Perhaps my perception is off, but it seems to me that mystery writers tend to be older than younger. Seems to me that most of the folks in the mystery circles are... well, at least a decade or so older than me. Often more so.

There's nothing inherently wrong with this. It does sometimes leave me feeling a bit like an outsider. I've not the years of experience or the years within which to have read thousands of books or watched thousands of movies. (An exposure issue compounded by my busy work schedule.) I have no recollection of how things used to be.

But at the same time, I have no attachment towards my own peer group. I don't understand text messaging, Twitter, or social networking. My cell phone doesn't even take pictures. And I write mystery, not fantasy. ;-) I actually know few people my own age. Most of my friends and all my colleagues are older than me.

Then, we'll compound this by my choice of being married for years but without any kids. People my age who are married are supposed to have kids. Or they're single. Different worlds and different languages.

And we'll top it off with my delightful lack of small talk skills. (I keep trying but I'm still no good at it.)

I keep hoping I'll grow out of this awkward stage. Maybe when I'm thirty.

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Old souls like you just have to wait for the world to catch up with you. Or slow down for you. Something like that. But youth is never wasted on the young despite what they say.

Clair D. said...

Thank you patti. You're always good for some perspective and comfort. =)

cindystubbs said...

I like your site. I am 52 years young and getting older has been an educational experience. You are never too young!

Barbara Martin said...

Although older I don't text message, Twitter, social network and my cell phone doesn't take photos either. But in my fantasy writing I do have a good dose of mystery mixed with crime.

There is the experience of what is presently going on around you, that after pondering its aspects can be placed into any story.