Saturday, March 7, 2009

I'm not a crazy. I'm a writer.


Though, it can be easy to confuse the two since both talk about, and to, people that don't exist.

Yes, I'm one of those people who talks to themselves. Only it's not me. It's Bo. And she's talking to other people... and every time such words pass my lips, I sound like a lunatic.

I like to think that part of the reason my dialogue is good is because I speak it. I take on both roles and actually speak the dialogue. I use this to make sure the lines are real.

But sometimes I talk to myself because I just enjoy the characters. I explore the things they would say to each other. Little vignettes, I guess, except they don't make it onto the page. But little scenes with Bo and her companions, or occasionally with other bit-part characters.

I often talk aloud. Sometimes I just move my lips. And I do it all the time. Empty aisles at the grocery store. While driving (when I'm not singing along to the music.) Walking to my car in the parking lot. And at home. Hubby's used to it. He pretends he doesn't notice it because if he said anything, I'd crawl under the couch cushions and wish I could die from embarrassment.

I can admit that I do these things... but I don't want anyone to see it.

Maybe I am just a little crazy.

At least I enjoy it. =D

1 comment:

Barbara Martin said...

You're not crazy, Clair, because you've admitted doing it. Every normal person is a bit neurotic, so you fit well. I mutter myself when trying out new dialogue.